General Information/DiscussionsUSS AMERICA CV-66 stories

General Info for everyone

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:58 am

While going thru some files on my computer I ran across these article I found online concerning two incidents onboard the ship which I was present for. I added my comments underlined for additional details.

"Crewman Falls Off Uss America

February 16, 1996|By WILLIAM H. MCMICHAEL Daily Press
NORFOLK NAVAL BASE — For the second time in its current six-month deployment, a crew member assigned to the aircraft carrier USS America has fallen overboard.
Search crews continued Thursday night to look for the sailor, who fell into the Atlantic late Thursday morning. The sailor's name was being withheld until relatives are notified, the Navy said.

The America, returning to Norfolk following the final Mediterranean cruise of its 30-year history, was roughly 172 miles east of the Azores when the sailor fell.

(Bright and sunny day; We were trying to offload and the wind and waves were too much so it was called off; when man overboard starboard side was sounded midday; I heard a guy was sounding a tank on a sponson when a wave swept over him off; they found his tool bag still on deck.)
According to 2nd Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Paul Weishaupt, the America was being resupplied by helicopter on a windy, sunny morning while sailing alongside the USS Butte. At about 10 a.m. - 5 a.m. EST - a lookout on the rear of the carrier saw the sailor floating in 10- to 12-foot seas, Weishaupt said.
Helicopters began an immediate search and were joined by the Butte, the Normandy and the South Carolina, Weishaupt said.
The America, scheduled for decommissioning this year, is nearing the end of its six-month cruise; it had already been being relieved of its Mediterranean responsibilities by the USS George Washington.
On Nov. 25, 1995, another America crew member fell off the ship. The carrier was nearly three months into its current deployment when Lance Cpl. Zachary R. Mayo fell off the rear portion of the carrier after he was struck from behind by a swinging door, according to Mayo's own account.

(He was TAD to the hazmat division and it was reported that somebody said they saw him in his rack; when he wasn’t. He didn’t go off the fantail as the screws would have got him; only place with a door like that was on port side midships small catwalk with a waist high railing. If memory serves me correctly it was glass smooth in the straits of Hormuz where he went over; it was mid day the next day when they called man overboard; night check had to get up; and after about an hour the chaplain was walking around with his photo asking people if they knew him; then they were calling to him over 1MC. When he was found three days later XO reported it to us. I heard he got transferred and promoted; the 1st class and CPO from Hazmart went to Co’s/Admiral’s mast and part of their punishment was to give lectures on the proper way to muster people and that it was mandatory training for all LPO’s (Leading Petty Officers); burned my ass too; Here I always accounted for my people and I had to listen to them tell me how to take a proper muster.)
Mayo's absence was not noticed for more than a day, and an extensive search by the Navy yielded nothing. But the 20-year-old Marine survived. Mayo, an aircraft hydraulics mechanic with Marine Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 3 out of Cherry Point, N.C., remained afloat 36 hours before being plucked out of the Arabian Sea by Pakistani fishermen.
The America and the 13 ships that accompanied the carrier on its deployment are due in Norfolk on Feb. 24. Said Weishaupt, "The schedule still has them arriving on the 24th, but their full focus now is on the recovery."

Some of the crazy shit that happens...

KungfuBeer

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:04 am

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:39 am

A really old photo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information