Technical Information/Support RequestsNew computer build!

Just as the title says

Moderator: Members

Topic author
KungfuMosquito

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:24 am

This is what I'm thinking of throwing together. Tell me what you think.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=27320447

Image [ Using iPhone ] Image
Last edited by KungfuMosquito on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cybex

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:58 am

Instead of voting on this I would just post and ask what everyone thinks. You will probably get lots of feedback. I would go with an Nvidia card. I finally have given up on AMD after all these years and the last 2 XFX cards I bought that were AMD based and the Asus one that my son bought. Next card I get will be Nvidia.
LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Moderhinke

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am

Looks like a fine set of hardware. Personally (having 2 kids, a big mortgage and being somewhat cheap) I would probably get another 7970 (e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008). That would save $150 and you can probably overclock that card easily to match the performance of the Asus card.

Also, Asus used to be one of the finest hardware manufacturers but they seem to get more complaints recently.

Having a 27" screen myself, I can highly recommend this. Dunno about the 3d feature though. Is it worth the extra money? Sure thing on a big TV but on a much smaller 27". But then again, I have no clue and might be wrong.

If you don't have to worry about the costs, go for it. Otherwise you can probably and easily save $500 - $800 without sacrificing a lot of performance.
Last edited by Moderhinke on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You can withdraw from a climate agreement but not from climate change, Mr. Trump. Reality isn't just another statesman you shove away.”

KungfuBeer

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 am

Yes, build me one please...

I'd look at the ASUS monitor that velezjr and gi.joe have raved about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236313

Just found the 27" model if you needed it vs the 24" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236206

Same with me on the NVidia, 1999 was the final year for me with ATI. Remember, I just got a new card from EVGA after it was nearly two years old because of a problem!

Everything else looks good, IMO.

Topic author
KungfuMosquito

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 am

Moderhinke wrote:
Having a 27" screen myself, I can highly recommend this. Dunno about the 3d feature though. Is it worth the extra money? Sure thing on a big TV but on a much smaller 27". But then again, I have no clue and might be wrong.

I was more interested in the 120Hz refresh rate and the 1ms response time. The 3d part doesn't interest me but I guess it's an added bonus.

Image [ Using iPhone ] Image

Cybex

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 am

I just got the same 24" monitor Velez and Joe got after my Samsung died.
LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Topic author
KungfuMosquito

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 am

Cybex9 wrote: I would go with an Nvidia card. I finally have given up on AMD after all these years and the last 2 XFX cards I bought that were AMD based and the Asus one that my son bought. Next card I get will be Nvidia.

KungfuBeer wrote:Same with me on the NVidia, 1999 was the final year for me with ATI. Remember, I just got a new card from EVGA after it was nearly two years old because of a problem!

This is the only thing I'm on the fence about; What side to choose in the GPU war. I've flip-flopped between AMD and Nvidia and right now it's soo close that I'm gonna have to flip a coin. Actually, I'll give it to Nvidia since you guys have faith in them.
For Nvidia:
What I really want- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121636
What I should get- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121659

Topic author
KungfuMosquito

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:20 am

Cybex9 wrote:I just got the same 24" monitor Velez and Joe got after my Samsung died.

I had looked at that monitor too. I'm on a 25" now and have a hard time thinking about going down in size (even if only an inch). how much of a difference does the refresh rate make in smoothness in game?

MissileChicago

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 am

I have that CoolerMaster case and it's awesome! You can fit anything in that case and it's very easy to work on things and has nice cable-management features.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on a 3D monitor, I would put that money towards a nice NVIDIA card instead.
"In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'." - Carl Spackler

Flipper

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:33 am

Most heavy gamers and gaming sites always recommend 2/ms or faster response time. This helps avoid perceived shutter or ghosting. You'll never see the difference in a 24" vs 25". For cards I'm on the fence currently. I've always been an Nvidia fan-boy, but I cannot debate the current crop of ATI/AMD 7000 series cards are nice GPUs for the money and have proven themselves in the enthusiast market. If you go Nvidia, I would recommend EVGA. Their customer service has always exceeded the other manufactures. Bottom line all manufactures make a good card for the most part, as they all use the same GPU. For motherboards it has always been Asus or ASRock for me the last 8 years. I've had bad experiences with MSI and Gigabyte boards in the past (more the customer service).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information