Images and VideosPublic safety notice from Sidewinder9x

Images and Videos

Moderator: Members

Forum rules
If there is already a thread or category that fits your post, please post it there instead.

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:14 am

Just thought I'd share a little information with all of you concerning Lugbolts or lugnuts those unsung over worked and frequently over stressed nuts that keep the wheels on our cars and trucks.

Like most fasteners they are supposed to be set to a per-determined torque when being installed by your friendly neighborhood garage; I say suppose to be because frequently they are over torqued especially when they use pneumatic guns with no torque settings. I'm sure you have experienced the frustration of trying to break one lose, only to find (a) you can't because it is over-torqued or (b) you snap it off due to the stud being stretched beyond it's breaking point as you put a cheater bar on the wheel wrench trying to remove it.

If you happen to have you wheels off yourself or the shop does it for you, please inspect both the threaded portion as well and the curved surface area that mates to the wheel; this is frequently where it will crack.

If you find it damaged throw it out and get a new one. $2.00 bucks is better than a wheel coming off at 70mph as you and or your loved ones are driving down the road.

Also, keep those tires properly inflated and check the tread a handy tool is a penny; stick it into the groove ; if you see the top of Lincoln's head it's time for tires or an alignment.

Brought to you by Sidewinder9x.
lugbolt.JPG
lugnut
lugbolt.JPG (82.7 KiB) Viewed 279 times
lugbolt.JPG
lugnut
lugbolt.JPG (82.7 KiB) Viewed 279 times

• Information